Friday, May 12, 2006

Whiplash - Week 5 theme "Yarn"

whipup






This is my first entry into the online craft challenge called Whiplash. Each week there is a theme and a short timeframe in which to create something that inteprets the theme. With this week's theme being "Yarn", I was a little worried since I don't really knit (I sew a lot) and I can just crochet a strait stitch. My initial thought was to do a collage of some kind that showed where Yarn comes from (cotton, sheep, etc.) but I was having a hard time getting my head around that idea. So I started thinking of where yarn doesn't come from (usually) and thought of lots of different things that I could crochet as a sort of sampler of things that (y)aren't yarn. This is the piece I came up with. It is somewhat inspired by samplers and by animal specimen collections (like butterflies and insects). There are 9 different items that I used to crochet with and none of them are "yarn". I thought it might also be fun to let people guess what each thing is before I post them so each one is numbered. I've also included a couple of more detailed shots to help decipher what they are.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Cox said...

I see ribbon, fabric? plastic bag strips...OMG is #6 LICORICE? That is so sweet! I love it!

4:51 PM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

clever!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Lady K said...

Here's my guesses:
1. twine
2. dog hair
3. grocery bag
4. leather
5. saran wrap
6. licorice
7. ribbon
8. wire cord?
9. the US flag?

This is a really witty entry.

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home